Search This Blog

Pages

March 25, 2008

Lemon Square

Click photo for more detail

Card measures 5 3/4" x 4 1/2"

I've been going thru some techniques from year 2005 of the TechniqueJunkies newsletters, and it's one of my favorites year's worth already. There is one called Simple Sumi that I've been wanting to try for a year, and as soon as warm weather hits and I can go spray fumey products outside I'm all over it!! LOL Ever since seeing a TV special on how spraying areosol-type products in the basement could potentially cause the fumes to spread under and up into a water heater causing it to explode, I've had no urge to try certain projects anywhere but the great outdoors. Just healthier all the way around!

I wanted to try the Ripped Marble technique from the Aug 2005 newsletter so I started with a PSX Lemons stamp and some black Versafine, and three shades of yellow cardstock. I found that my panel needed a little more depth, so I used the ink and a tiny stipple brush to apply it just to the border as shown.

I mounted this panel to a taupe panel that I had put black rivets in, and tied rafia thru. If I was still working on the card I would distress both ends of this piece. Oh well! LOL I layered a black scrap under this so just the ends stuck out.

For the bkgd panel, I started with a piece of cs the same color as the center strip on the lemons panel. I used Marvy Ochre #13 to apply the Frost Background from the Feb 2005 TJ newsletter, and then stamped the lemon slice image (PSX) in the same ink randomly, using first and second stampings. I stamped the script (A Stamp in the Hand) in black along the bottom corner. I was unhappy with how bold it was all looking, so I used a sponge brush to swish light yellow acrylic ink over the surface randomly. I let this dry completely, then used black Staz-On ink to stamp the verse (Eureka!):

"The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits." - James 3:17

then Adirondack Mushroom (one of my all time favorite neutral ink colors) to stamp two lemon branch images (Club Scrap) randomly. I say randomly, but you do have to give some thought as to placement of stamped images in relation to the main panel, etc.

*tip*
I like to lay the main panel on the background as I go, making sure placement of all elements coordinates with it. A stamp positioner will work wonders also!

I mounted the main panel to the bkgd panel, then this to a black panel, and finally to a taupe panel to tie in the layer under the main image.

Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

Linda Carson said...

LOVE this card! LOVE IT! You'll enjoy the Simple Sumi. It makes fantastic backgrounds.

Unknown said...

This is very lovely! I was hoping for a recipe, LOL. I second Leenda. Simple Sumi is so fun. I still have a great big stash left from one play!

Bibbi said...

What apretty card!

Love the colores, it's just beautiful....