Search This Blog

Pages

March 21, 2008

Easter Iris

I sent this Easter card of to my parents and hopefully it will arrive today or tomorrow. The purples match much better in real life (all fairly violet), but the depth of the background technique confused the scanner a little.


Click photo for more detail

Card measures about 7" x 4 3/4"

Matt. 28:5,6 The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here: he has risen, just as he said."

For the watercolor-y looking background I used my all-time favorite TechniqueJunkies technique called Water Color Distress from the Feb 2007 newsletter. I used just one color of ink, Dusty Concord, and used a sponge to edge it also.

The iris, Judi-kins, was stamped on watercolor paper using Staz-On Black ink. I used Grumbacher paints and a regular brush with water. I didn't have a green to my liking so I went over most of it lightly with some brownish tan paint to tone it down. I added some peach around the flower, but it would have matched the background cs better if I had left it natural. I used a Sakura white gel pen to add a few highlights as it was looking too flat to me.

It wasn't my intention to tear around the image, but my cat jumped up on my workspace just as I was using black ink to stamp an arched "Easter is the promise of miracles" just above the flower. Wah! Oh well, make do or repaint - I think we all know what we choose 85% of the time ;o) So I crumpled up some purple cs, distressed the edges, wrapped sheer green ribbon around to eat up some of the open space, and then adhered the flower image over. I still had too much space LOL so I punched some diamonds from the background panel, and mounted self-adhesive flat back pearls in the centers.

*tip*
If you don't have any extra background cs made to add elements, consider cutting them from the center of the prepared panel where it won't show (it will be covered by your main image panel), and then affix the bkgd to a cardfront.

I used some more bkgd cs to stamp the phrase on (Inkadinkado) and edged it with a sponge. I mounted this on the same green textured cs I used behind the main panel, and then to the cardfront using pop-dots.

Have a blessed Easter,


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very pretty, Nancy! Have a happy Easter!

Linda Carson said...

Love the soft elegance! Beautiful!

Digital said...

dplbckNancy--Thank you ahead of time for the Easter card. It is beautiful! Purple is a great color for almost anything, and a purple iris is one of my favorite flowers. Love, Mom

Shirley said...

Absolutely stunning.