Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Tulip Bloom

Believe it or not, this background was meant to be a different color and for a different card! I'll explain later LOL This card is not eligible for the weekly drawing since I need to send it out as I designed it for Wood-n-Paper, Ink.

Card measures 5 3/4" x 4 1/2"

I got this background panel totally by accident. In trying to make a an autumn background for a different card, I scribbled four different Stampin' Up! markers (browns, rusts, mustards) on a sheet of plastic, and then spritzed liberally with water. I laid a piece of hard-press, smooth but not glossy, white cardstock on top of this and lifted it off to dry. And this is the color it was after it dried!

It lacked some interest so I sprayed it with white and black webbing spray.

*tip*
Do a few pages of background and spray all at one time or you'll end up wasting a ton of the product, which leads me to the next tips! Follow the directions on the can, including shake thoroughly, spray outside, in the correct temperature, and with plenty of scrap paper underneath to catch the excess. I sprayed mine in the bottom of a large box.

There is a technically correct version called Veined Marble in the August 07 TechniqueJunkies newsletter that would give similiar results, so you might want to check that out for better results LOL

I colored the main image (Wood-n-Paper, Ink) with pencils and then blended with Gamsol. I trimmed the edges straight, and then cut around the leaf. I layered this on a black panel leaving room on the right side for some extra scraps that I first cut into squares, and then cut thru the middle on the diagonal. I glued these down with Zig 2-Way glue.

I layered this on a textured green panel and set aside. For the word tag I stamped "bloom" (Wood-n-Paper, Ink, Old Time Alphabet) on a white scrap in black ink, and then brushed the edges with Distress Dried Marigold direct from the pad. I glued this to a black scrap, and then punched the edge with a rectangle handheld punch. I had to use it twice, lined up, to get this length. I cut a strip of the green cs, trimmed the ends at an angle, threaded it thru the slot, and tied it with an embroidery thread.

I adhered the background panel to a black panel, and then to a white piece edged with the Dried Marigold and a sponge. I adhered the other two panels as shown, and then attached the white panel to a black cardfront.

Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, Absolutely Beautiful! I think you make the best cards around. I wish I had your talent.

Krista

Evelyn in Oregon said...

What a stunning card! Of course, I can't imagine you making any other kind! I don't have those markers, but I'm going to look for similar colors.

Jinny said...

Stunning card! Great blog spot! I'll be checking back here often.
Jinny

leenda said...

AWESOME! Thanks for today's inspiration! I really like all those "small" details that make your cards special!