Search This Blog

Pages

November 27, 2007

Snow Penguin


Are any of you wanting a cool Stampin' Up! spiral notebook punch as badly as I am?! LOL As cool as the square holes are, it finally occurred to me that I could make a mighty neat approximation using a common circle hand punch combined with the rectangle hand punch! Who said necessity is the mother of invention?...I know, I know - I'm just testing you ;o)

This card is for all of you who really love blue for Christmas, or even just a winter card to say hey to someone you like. It's not quite this bright in real life.
Card measures 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"

I started with a piece of glossy cardstock. I always use Kromekote, which I bought a ream of at the last stamp show I was lucky enough to attend.

*tip*
Anytime I buy anything in bulk, paper especially, I keep the original label and attach it to the front of the folder, container, etc. You always think you'll remember the brand, but then...you know!

The first step was to use a Versamark pad to ink up two snowflake stamps (large single - Sarasota Stamps, small cluster - Stampin' Up!) and stamp them randomly over the glossy cs.

Then I used a rubber brayer, and a Kaleidocolor pad in Blue Breeze. I loaded the brayer up thoroughly by leaving the pads in the open position and running the brayer over them at a slight angle. Then, with my 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of glossy cs on scrap paper, I ran the inked brayer over the cs diagonally as shown on one side, then flipped the cs around and did the other side, keeping the lighter shade in the center.

For the main image panel I stamped the penguin (Art Impressions) with VersaFine black ink, and then used a blender pen and the Kaleidocolor pad inks to color his turquoise highlight. I colored his cap and beak in with Stampin' Up! markers and the blender.
To stamp the ice, I stamped the penguin on a Post-it, cut it out and layered it over the image on the panel. Then I used the Amuse Skinny Oval and one of the colors in the K pad to stamp the ice, and then highlighted it with irred. glitter glue. After I stamped the snowflakes in the same ink around the penguin I peeled the mask off.

For the snow circle I inked up the Penny Black circle tag stamp with Stampin' Up! markers direct to the rubber, punched it out, and edged it with one of the markers.

I punched the top of the main image panel as stated above, adhered it to a black panel, then to the background panel, then white, then a black cardfront. I adhered the circle as shown and then used a silver snowflake brad.

Simple but cute, I think :o)
Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And who doesn't just love penguins? :) Cool idea to use the two punches together to make notebook paper holes, but then I keep telling everyone you're smart! LOL Another great card! :o)))

-Juli.

Linda Carson said...

LOVE your card Nancy! Really fun!