Search This Blog

Pages

November 24, 2007

Self-standing Christmas Chrerub

I got the inspiration to make this card from a Dearfoams slipper box we bought recently (with slippers, of course LOL). If you like it, stay tuned for the other version, coming with Monday's post!!

Card standing measures 4 1/4" across, 2" deep, and 4" high

Here's the box the way it came, with one slipper on each level:

I'll be posting a card using this format on Monday. And the way it popped up as I was getting ready to toss it out:

Okay, I know this side view below looks ackward, but it stays standing this way with the right angle from the front view as seen above.

Here's a view below taken with the scanner to show you that it folds flat and can be easily mailed out.

Card folded up measures 4 1/4" x 5"


Here's the template (if you click on it you will get an enlarged version, easier to read.) I suggest making a trial one to use as an ongoing template.

Here's how I put it together:

I started with a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" white cardstock, and cut it in half the long way, ending up with 2 pieces each 4 1/4" x 11". I set one aside and decorated the other. Using some of the blue alcohol inks, I put a few drops of each on a transparency, squirted a bit of blender into them and rolled them onto my cs using a cheap brayer from the paint dept. of Home Depot (yellow pad, white handle). I added some drops of the silver mixative and kept repeating till the cs was covered as shown.

When this was completely dry, I adhered the two pieces of cs together. I flipped the panel over, decorated side down, and with the long side facing me, and marked my lines with a pencil and ruler (see professionally drawn template Haha ;o) I marked them as follows: 1" (A), 4" (B), 6" (H & I), and 9" (C). Then I turned it sideways so the short end with line C was nearest me. I drew two lines between lines B and C, each 3/4" in from the edges (D & E). Then I measured 1" up from line C and drew a line (F), and 1" down from line B and drew a line (G).

Next, I cut lines D and E, from line B to line F, using an Exacto knife and glass mat. I then scored lines A, B, C, F, G, H and I (note that you do not want to score the whole length of the H/I line - only in from the edges to lines D & E).

In order to fold flat for mailing, the image panel has to fit inside the rectangle from line B to line F and from line D to line E so it will measure approximately 3 7/8" x 2 5/8". I stamped the cherub (Inkadinkado) on a white scrap cs in Stampin' Up!'s Buckaroo Blue, then stippled the same ink around it. Over this I stippled Encore's Ultimate Metallic Blue. I colored in the star with a Sakura Gelly Roll pen, and added a mirror-base domed sticker in the center. I layered this to metallic silver cs, and then to textured dark blue.

To finish decorating the base where it would show from the front, I embossed some blue snowflakes (Stampa Rosa) using Encore Ultimate Metallic Blue and clear fine detail embossing powder. Then I used clear embossing ink and Stampin' Up!'s Sterling Silver embossing powder to stamp the greeting by Anna Griffin for All Night Media near the bottom edge.

To put the card together I adhered the main image panel ONLY to the area between lines G and F and between lines D and E, and then folding the card into a box shape, I adhered the 1" panel at the end to the 2" panel on the other end.

Ta da! Fun to put together and impressive enough to display as a Christmas decoration.
Thanks for looking!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Gennie Benford

Linda Carson said...

Oh my gosh! Beautifully done & so creative! This is what I call "thinking outside the box"!! lol

Allie Gower said...

This is really awesome. I am going to have to have my mathematic family members help me make it, but I'm so intriqued by it.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Allie

Anonymous said...

Wow, Nancy-great altered art!! It certainly is "impressive enough to display as a Christmas decoration".
Angels are definitely one of my favs so this just makes this piece of art nicer for me.

Cheryl S.