Search This Blog

Pages

November 17, 2007

Milkpaint Friends

All stamps on this card are by I Brake For Stamps (see sidebar), and are currently ON SALE!!!! woo-hoo! :o) Both sheets are listed under New Stamps, and I used the Christmas sheet #RB013 and the phrases sheet #RB06. OH! and if you like the Noel card with the pointsettas on Monday, those are also on the Christmas sheet.


Card measures 4 1/2" x 5 1/4"

I couldn't decide what background to put behind the kids on this one, so I thought I'd try the Milkpaint technique again (see yesterday's post for info). I used white on this one, because my chalk pad is getting too dry. It doesn't show up much, but I like the overall effect - feels like they're just passing the barn.

To start, I stamped the main image in the center of a tan piece of cs with black Staz-On ink. I colored it is with pencils, and used a Stickles Frosted Lace glitter glue on the snow ridges. I tried coloring the snow area with pencils but it wasn't quite white enough, so I erased this and used a round small stencil brush to dab ColorBox white pigment ink all over the area. After it dries it looks much softer than when first applied.

I stamped the phrase in black ink, using half on the top and half on the botton. Then I stamped the three snowflakes in Versafine black ink randomly around the panel. My original vision was to continue them out onto the background, but after actually trying that, all the black was way too heavy visually, and I needed to go to plan B. Which I didn't have! Then I thought about the Milkpaint technique and thought it went along with the feeling of the image.

It was still looking too flat, and I didn't want to add anymore words. I remembered seeing a fabulous ribbon treatment on one of Leigh 0'Brien's cards for The Cats Pajamas, and although mine isn't quite as cool, I think it adds just enough interest and color. I just used my Exacto knife to cut a rectangular slit in the main image panel after I had glued it to a black panel.

I used foam tape to mount the image panel to the background, and then mounted that to a greenish brown cardfront.

Thanks for looking!

6 comments:

Linda Carson said...

AMAZING artwork! I just hope by coming here some of your talent will rub off on me! I so appreciate your tips & taking the time to share how you created each piece.

Digital said...

Nancy--Ditto yesterday--they just keep getting better and better! LOL Mom

Anonymous said...

really nice Nancy! Love the milkpaint background w/the scene!

Ramblin Rose said...

I'm just loving your milkpaint cards!I'm going to have to try it but I doubt mine will look as good as yours. Boo Hoo!

Rose Ann

maz said...

What a clever girl you are Nancy,your cards are lovely,but could you please let me know what a milkpaint background is and how it's done? cheers maz in UK

Anonymous said...

You have definitely inspired me to try the milkpaint techique with your wonderful card.

Cheryl