Search This Blog

Pages

November 05, 2007

Collage Dec 25

Woo hoo! My second week of blogging and I hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am. Vivian's name was picked in the weekly drawing yesterday and has chosen the Zebra card, so that will be going out in today's mail - excellent choice :o)

I didn't set out to make this a Christmas card yesterday, but with the reds and greens it was a natural! (click on photo for close up)

Finished card measures 7" x 4 7/8"

I stamped the main image collage stamp by Stampington & Co. titled Berry Print on a piece of cream cs using Adirondack's Lettuce, Pesto and Raisin dye inks, which I applied randomly to the rubber right from the pads except for the ruler area where I used the Pesto ink only. I edged the piece with the Raisin ink, again right from the pad.

I inked up the 25 part of the stamp with Raisin ink and stamped it again on cream cs, punched it out with a 3/4" circle punch, then edged it with the Pesto ink. The December is a word from a Hero Arts stamp titled Circle the Month, which I stamped on a rectangle of cream cs in Raisin, then edged it with Pesto. After the card was put together I applied these as shown.

The colorful background was made by applying dye inks and gesso alternatively with a brayer on glossy cardstock, drying in between coats. For lots of details on this technique and more artwork samples, check out the TechniqueJunkie Dec06/Jan07 newsletter (see sidebar for link).

*tip*
To get cards to tie together visually, try using the same inks for the background effect as you use on your main images.

This piece is mounted on a piece of cranberry cardstock that I've stamped the swath with the words in it on from the original collage stamp using Versamark ink.

*tip*
Versamark can have a tendency to fade over time. It's recommended to heat set it with a heat gun. Another option would be to sprinkle clear detail embossing powder over it before heating, or just stamp it using a little darker shade of dye ink as the cardstock for the same look.


The dotted cardfront was made by stenciling over a piece of metal sequin waste ribbon, pictured along with my favorite brush for this by Dreamweaver. Lots of items will work to stencil with - lace, metal mesh from the hardware store, etc. The sequin waste can be rinsed off when you're done with it and used over and over. I edged the card with Raisin ink right from the pad, making just a thin edge for definition.

Thanks for looking!

5 comments:

Donna said...

I've admired your creations for the past couple of years, from viewing them on the TJ list. I was extremely fortunate to have received an absolutely gorgeous giraffe card (burnt edges), which remains in my "never give away" area.

I love this collage card from yesterday. I've been searching for some of the sequin waste like you used on your card, but did not know what it was called until you showed it yesterday. Now I shall hunt for some, although my searching last evening failed to find me any in the U.S., except for green or burgundy. I wanted to purchase either clear or holographic.

Your blog is wonderful, and I will enjoy visiting often.

Donna
donnawb@embarqmail.com

Linda said...

This is a gorgeous card! I love using punchinella. Thanks for your tip on the brush...I'm going to have to look for one of those!

Linda
freeman5262@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Nancy,

What a beautiful Christmas card! As I have said before...and will say it again...you sure have a beautiful eye for color and card making.

Krista
woodnpaperink@yahoo.com

Linda Carson said...

I just LOVE this card. You make it sound so easy that maybe even I could do it! Thanks for the daily inspiration.

Rika said...

This is beautiful, thanks for sharing!