Search This Blog

Pages

November 09, 2007

CD Case Shadow Box Flirt

I know it's hard to believe that this museum-quality artwork started out as a humble little cd case, but it's true!!! LOL Okay, but it is a fun project. :o)

I started with a plastic cd case that measures 5 5/8" x 4 7/8" x 3/8". I looked for a main image that would fill up a good portion of the center, which after the frame is on measures 3 3/8" x 4 1/8".

I opened up the cd case and measured the inside where the background paper gets tacked down. I used a background technique called Watercolor Distress from the TechniqueJunkie Feb 07 newsletter for my background to simulate the shore. The main idea is to use Distress ink, rub pad on a flat surface and spritz with water. Then just lay the neutral cs down on this, press down, lift and dry. I stamped a sandy shore line (Theresa Allen) using Stampin' Up! Creamy Caramel.

I stamped the bathing beauty with parasol (Tin Can Mail by Inkadinkado) on cream cs using Staz-On Stone Grey ink (because it's waterproof), colored in with a blender pen and Distress inks.

*tip*
With ink pad case closed, press down so pad meets inside cover, open and use the pooled ink in the lid to color with, using a blender pen or slightly wet paintbrush.

I cut out the image closely and set it aside.

Next I took the cd case, laid it down on cs, and used a stylus to press down closely around the edges, scoring the cs (lines a). Then since my cd case is 3/8" deep, I used a ruler to draw a line that far from the first line on each side, then lined up my ruler and scored this too (lines b).

Then I cut a window out of the center of this piece, by marking a line 3/4" in from the first line (lines c).

*tip*
I like to use a cushioned grip Exacto knife on a glass mat to cut frames like this and a Fiskars Softouch 6" scissors to cut closely like to trim the figure out.

I used a pencil to extend the lines (a) to the edges of the sheet of cs and used a scissor to cut the line up to the corners. Then I used the same Watercolor Distress bkgd technique on the frame using Aged Mahogany. After it dryed, I stamped it with swirls for the Autumn Leaves Rhonna Farrer Flourishes V:I set, using the Stone Grey ink.


Next I bent the scored lines, laid it over the cd and eyeballed where the main image should go. I used 3D foam pop-dots to apply it, used a stamp positioner to stamp the phrase (See-D's Pick of the Crop Collection #50528 All My Heart) in Stone Grey. I added some microbeads at this point.


I turned the frame over and used double-stick tape (I used the Scotch ATG 700 dispenser by 3M in the 3/4" size) to cover the area under the frame and where the sides fold over the edges. Now, brace yourself, this is the trickiest part - you only get one chance to stick the frame down straight using this method! But it's much easier having already scored it. And it's done!

Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

What a wonderful project. I'm going to try this one, your directions seem to be quite good, let's see if I can get my fumble fingers to do the work. Thanks so much for this piece of inspiration for my morning. I just love your work.
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Can I just pay you to make one for me since I have a hard enough time trying to find time to make a single stamp group card, much less something as cool as this? :o))

-Juli.

Linda Carson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda Carson said...

I think this is museum quality artwork!! You're just one creative artist Nancy. I'm hoping if I drop by daily that some of your talent will rub off on me....!!