Search This Blog

Pages

November 02, 2007

Alcohol Ink Peppers

The holidays are coming and many of you probably have friends and relatives with special dietary needs. I have a delicious quick and easy recipe for you that will fill the bill nicely for vegetarians that won't have the meat-eaters turning up their noses ;o) I found this basic idea under Sweet Bean Burritos in a wonderful book called Saving Dinner by Leanne Ely.

My secret ingredient is Kuner's canned Black Beans with Lime Juice. If you can't find this, any canned black beans should work fine. Okay, I pop a medium size sweet potato in the microwave for about 7 minutes, and meanwhile I heat a T of oil in a pan, add 1/2 a large chopped onion, and a clove of minced garlic. When the onions turn a bit soft I add one can of the beans mentioned above (drain off excess liquid), about 1 t of cumin, and the sweet potato which I've skinned. I mash the sweet potato up in the pan but you can do it before adding. Just heat thru and you have a VERY delicious filling for burritos. We like to add fresh cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh chopped tomato and lettuce to our extra large tortilla before rolling it up. I've actually never met anyone who didn't like these!

Card measures 4 7/8" x 5 3/8"


To make this card I started with a sheet of glossy white cs, and three colors of Ranger alcohol inks (Oregano, Lettuce and Meadow). My method is to put a little strip of each color on the felt applicator, each going the short way, about 2-3 drops each, and spaced equal distances apart. Then I soak the pad liberally with the Blending Solution and start to pounce on the cs. I just continue these steps till I like the coverage and pattern.

*tip*
Be sure to use these products in a well-ventilated area - the fumes will build up otherwise

For the center panel, also glossy cs, I inked the pepper stamp (A Stamp in the Hand) with Adirondack inks (Lettuce, Pesto and Mushroom), swishing them all on at random. When this dried I used Versafine black to stamp the words (A Stamp in the Hand) and edge the panel with a sponge. I punched holes on either side of one pepper with a needle and tied linen fine weave cord around it before mounting the main panel to a tan piece of cs stamped with Stampin' Up!'s chicken wire background in Adirondack Mushroom. The cardfront is actually a dark green cs.

Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

Vivian said...

Being a vegetarian, I thank you for the recipe! The card is wonderful! I enjoy your blog.

Brad said...

Wow! That is a great card, and I love how you added the recipe. It all ties together very well. Excellent work!